Remote work comes with many benefits to the traditional office. All these benefits, however, come with some serious trade offs to consider.
The benefits for an individual include:
- Time to focus that you simply don’t get because of the interruptions at a traditional office.
- No more commute; saving you time and money.
- Flexible work schedule. Once everyone becomes asynchronous, it’s easy to work even at odd hours.
- Freedom to live where you want close to the things you care about.
The benefits for companies include:
- Workers that can perform at their best because they aren’t distracted or limited to the 9-5 schedule.
- Talent from anywhere becomes available. The company no longer needs to only look in a 50 mile radius.
- Savings on office space, relocation costs, and supplies.
The trade offs to look out for include:
- Missing face to face interactions with co-workers.
- Loss of structure provided by the office and workday.
- Increased responsibility and accountability to stay productive throughout the day.
- Distractions at home. Family, chores, and familiar surrounding can all pull you away from your work.